Sunday, July 26, 2009

Nail biting finish!

I wonder what I'm going to do with my life now?! :-)

It seems the Netflix Prize competition is finally over. Nothing is absolutely final yet - the judges have to verify the results and confirm the actual winning team, but the deadline has come and gone just an hour ago and "The Ensemble" ended up at the top of the leaderboard. Just!


As things turned out I ended up having an insider's view of what was going on inside "The Ensemble" over the final few days leading up to the deadline. That was very interesting even if I wish I could have contributed more directly to the final submissions! Instead I ended up frying my brain through lack of sleep, and turned into a zombie like creature instead. On the morning of the last full day (here in NZ) I finally realised what I needed to do to get my "silver bullet" post-processing tool into a potentially more useful state, but I ended up running out of time (not to mention the fact that zombies can't code). I will continue with that little project though - even if only to find out what its potential could have been, one way or the other.

Congratulations to all the members of the two teams that cracked the 10% barrier.

No comments:

Post a Comment